Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Bodum 5410-03USA Mini Ibis Electric Water Kettle, White

Bodum 5410-03USA Mini Ibis Electric Water Kettle, White

Price: $36.94
Manufacturer: Bodum
Buy from amazon.com

This handy electric kettle from Bodum is designed to have a permanent place at the kitchen counter using a minimum of space. Made of a heat-reinforced polypropylene plastic and a stainless steel heating element, it is an indispensable and practical everyday tool for cooking - and certainly when a fast boil is needed. The Bodum water kettle will automatically cut off power after the water boils a short while. No more dry boils!

Information

  • Amazon Sales Rank: #3092 in Kitchen & Housewares
  • Color: White
  • Brand: Bodum
  • Model: 5410-03USAA
  • Number of items: 1
  • Dimensions: 5.90" h x 6.10" w x 8.20" l, 1.30 pounds
  • Holds 7 to 27 fluid ounces
  • Polypropelene plastic with copper-sheathed, nickel-plated heating element
  • Boils 27 fluid ounces in 4 minutes
  • Power automatically cuts out when water boils
  • Locking lid, frosted handle for safety

Product Reviews

Amazon.com Review
The miniature Ibis is sized to boil water for one. Its modern Scandinavian design makes it an attractive office companion for boiling water to make tea or coffee. And, with its reasonable price, this kettle travels well to college to make instant noodles in a dorm room. Made of heavyweight polypropelene plastic with a copper-sheathed, nickel-plated heating element, the Mini Ibis holds a maximum of 27 fluid ounces of water (about 3-1/2-cups). It must be filled to a minimum of 7 fluid ounces--just enough to cover the heating element--to operate. Plugging the unit in and flipping up the switch below the kettle's handle turns on the power. The heating process is rapid and quiet: it takes only 4 minutes to boil 27 ounces of water and the sound is almost imperceptible. For safety purposes, the Ibis automatically shuts off after boiling and has a locking lid to prevent spilling and a frosted handle for a secure grip. --Cristina Vaamonde


Great kettle. great price
I've had this kettle for about 1 & 1/2 years without having any electrical or scale build-up problems. I use it 1 to 4 times per day, it boils water faster than the microwave and takes very little counter space, stores easily in cupboard. I use filtered water from my refrigerator dispenser, not tap water. My mom, who can't stand counter clutter either (she constantly tries to give away her microwave and other small appliances to family/friends when they visit) liked it so much that I got her one and hers is going strong after one year of constant use.

I do agree that the lid leaks steam near the handle (usually only a problem when you fill to max line) and you need to watch where you grip, occasionally I've also had issues with a little bit of water leakage from the base. I always make sure the lid is locked in place before turning it on, and it always shuts off at boil, no problems with the lid lock either. My mom's has worked the same. I probably wouldn't let anyone younger than a teenager use it on their own, but you could say that for most appliances.

I guess with any electrical appliance there are lemons out there, but you also have to factor in personal usage habits and possibly bad or inadequate home wiring. For example I've had problems with electrical appliance/equipment burnouts in older poorly wired apartments that cleared up when I moved to a newer, correctly wired home.

I recommend this product if you want a well-priced, compact electric water kettle that wears well and is also easy to take along if you travel.

A sweet, little kettle for the price
The Bodum 5410-03USA Mini Ibis Electric Water Kettle does everything it is supposed to do and quickly. I keep a gallon container of spring water under my desk and no longer make frequent trips to the kitchen to boil water in the microwave. My only complaint is that the steam leaks from underneath the cover, which is very close to the handle. The first time I used the kettle, I burned my hand, but grip the handle a little lower now.

Otherwise, the design is good, spare, and the cord is adequately long (though I wish they'd develop a cordless version). I see no problem with the cover. I suppose, as another reviewer mentioned, that one could let it fall into the carafe, but it is easy enough to avoid doing so; it *does* have a locking mechanism, after all.

White Mini Electric Kettle
I'd used these kinds of kettles when traveling abroad. Usually hotel rooms in the U.K. and Asia have these instead of coffee pots. The water boils very quickly and the entire unit is cool to the touch. This one is the perfect size for a couple or where space is limited. It also comes in a larger model. Water boils very quickly. No need to fire-up the stove or microwave.


No comments:

Post a Comment