Friday, August 14, 2009

Chef's Choice 678 Cordless Electric Kettle

Chef's Choice 678 Cordless Electric Kettle

Price: $57.98
Manufacturer: Chef's Choice
Buy from amazon.com

Boil water more quickly than a microwave for tea, coffee, hot chocolate or instant soup. Generous 2.0-quart capacity with an exterior water gauge for easy measuring. The powerful 1500 watt heating element is hidden beneath the stainless floor of the unit, so it's never in contact with water, eliminating build-up of mineral deposits on it and allowing for easy clean-up. The revolutionary cordless design allows the kettle to be lifted from its base for convenient filling and serving. Handsomely constructed of high-quality brushed stainless steel, the kettle ensures several years of service. The automatic shut-off, double boil-dry safety shut-off and lid-lock features guarantee safe use UL listed. One year warranty.

Information

  • Amazon Sales Rank: #6837 in Kitchen & Housewares
  • Brand: Chef's Choice
  • Model: 678
  • Released on: 2006-09-01
  • Dimensions: 11.00" h x 8.00" w x 9.00" l, 3.60 pounds
  • Large capacity 2 quart kettle has a concealed heating element so there's no water build up of mineral deposits.
  • Cordless kettle has 1500 watts of power which boils water faster than a stove or microwave.
  • Automatic shut off; boil dry safe shut-off protection.
  • Convenient water level gauge, push button lid opening and illuminated on/ off switch.
  • High quality brushed stainless steel and cool touch bottom.

Product Reviews

It does its job well - there are things to note
I like this product and I use it nearly every day - it goes well with a french press, and heating water to 200 deg F is its primary function. At other times I used it to help a large pot of water (for cooking pasta) come to a boil much sooner.

Things to note:
- The brushed exterior is convenient, it doesn't pick up smudges like a polished one would

- The 2qt capacity is great when boiling water for a larger pot

- It's fast. It gets water to a boil very quickly, especially if you don't fill the whole pot - 1qt will boil really quickly, not just in half the time of 2qts

- The indicator window gets steamed and is barely of use. OK, I see how much to not fill it (Max line)

- The switch appears flimsy but there's not much to stress it

- A subtle red light indicates the switch is on. Initially I used to leave the switch on after pouring out the water, but now I know what to look for. At this point I don't regret that it could have been brighter, because it stays subtle in the kitchen. In a multi-user kitchen you might want to mention that the ON indication is very low-key.

- When boiling, the kettle takes a bit more delay than I'd expect to switch off and indicate the water's boiling (with a quiet click). By that time the sound of bubbling alerts me

- I haven't detected any weird smell, I did two boils with fresh water before using it

- The spout is definitely designed for slow pouring. It doesn't spill a drop. However, if you're trying to dump the water out really fast, like into a large pot, slow down or you'll get a trickle down the sides because the spout won't handle the volume

- There's a fine mesh filter across the spout to catch any scaling if it ever occurs (not seen it yet but I have an undersink filter) and I remove that to stick a thermometer to catch it short of boiling. Would have been nice to get something where I could simply set the temperature rather than monitor the kettle - but that would be a different product altogether.

- The lid is nice, opens gently

- I wondered whether I could heat vegetable stock in it, but I think that better be left to the 670 or 675 that you see on Good Eats - the electric hot pot that looks like a kettle but with perfectly vertical sides. This has a tube in it and its shape won't lend well to thorough cleaning. I'll stick to water.

- It feels like it sits loose on the base, but that's what makes it easy to pick up and put down. The base doesn't get lifted with the kettle, so it's nice in that. The cord is solid and has a three-pronged plug at the end.

All in all, it feels solid and can do what it's supposed to do. I fault it a star for trickling when I try to pour the water very quickly, and for the odd placing of the level indicator, the difficulty of being able to reach in and deep clean anything. I'd probably give it 4 1/2 stars if that was possible.

Excellent Product! Just Bought a Second One!
The first Chef's Choice we bought was the one with the black plastic top. Here's my review of that one which applies to this unit as well. I don't see any significant differences - we prefer the all stainless look but could live without it and the new "water gauge" on the side.

"Very slick look - I guess what you'd expect for this price. But, it delivers and we couldn't be happier. Fast to boil - even when filled to the max. I like the wide-mouth for pouring fast too. I use it for tea a few times a day but it's primarily for making coffee in the Freiling 1.5L coffee press. The wide-mouth makes the transfer fast. This is my first "cordless" hotshot and I don't think I can go back to the corded now - was always a hassle when pouring."

I'm impressed. It has all the makings of a product that will last at least a few years (3 months so far). And, if that holds true, I would definitely buy another.

Note: Still using this 6-10 times per day for tea and coffee and we both highly recommend.

Not good in the long haul
I've owned this product for about a year. I've used it every day. The 1st 3 months it worked well, though my husband had a hard time reading the water level indicator.

The 1st hint of trouble to come was that it would dribble a small amount of water from where the on/off switch is. Then it wouldn't turn off. The automatic shut off feature was one of the main reasons we bought it. The water would boil, the light would go out, then, the water would start boiling again....this would last until we turned it off manually. This was an intermittant problem, one, at 1st, I thought was our fault.

Today, we came home after being gone for 2 hours. The kettle had somehow been left in the on position. And apparently it boiled itself dry and then died! At best, it is unreliable, at worst, probably hazardous.


No comments:

Post a Comment