Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Breville BKE820XL Variable Temperature Kettle

Breville BKE820XL Variable Temperature Kettle

Price: $149.99
Manufacturer: Breville
Buy from amazon.com

The Variable Temperature kettle allows the user to heat water to specific temperatures that achieve perfect taste profiles for the four major types of teas and French press coffee. 5 Pre-set brewing temperatures include: 175F for Green Tea; 185F for White Tea; 195F for Oolong Tea; 200F for French Press: and 212F for boiling and black tea. The European stainless steel design make it a beautiful table statement.

Information

  • Amazon Sales Rank: #3670 in Kitchen & Housewares
  • Color: Silver
  • Brand: Breville
  • Model: BK3820XL
  • Dimensions: 11.00" h x 9.50" w x 7.50" l, 6.00 pounds
  • Variable electronic control with 5 pre-set brewing temperatures allows for precision tea and coffee brewing to elicit the perfect drinking profile.
  • Hold Temp feature keeps the heated water at the selected temperature for 20 minutes and can be activated before, during or on completion of the water heating cycle.
  • Water level indicators are located on both sides of the kettle for the left and right handed viewing.
  • Brushed stainless steel base and jug make this kettle particularly elegant.
  • Removable Scale Filter

Product Reviews

New tea snob in the making thanks to this excellent kettle
I am relatively new to the tea scene (my wife and I started drinking Teavana teas about a year ago) and as such I have been searching for a really good kettle. I wanted an electric kettle because of their ease of use as well as the extra features some of the nicer kettles offer. After an exhaustive search I decided upon the Breville SK500XL Ikon Stainless-Steel Electric Kettle based in no small part to the excellent reviews it has received on Amazon and other sites.

I went to a few stores to examine it in person and compare it to about ten other electric kettles that the different stores carried but nothing seemed to come close to the design and quality of the Breville. So after finally making my decision, it was simply a matter of time before I made my purchase. I am very glad I waited as within 2 weeks this new Breville kettle was released. While still substantially costlier than the SK500XL, the BKE820XL has a number of features and design improvements that made the extra cost more than worth it. These include:

- Multiple temperature settings (different teas require different temperature water for an optimally brew) with 20 minute hold
- Improved water level indicators now on both sides (the single water level indicator on the SK500XL is behind the handle which makes it hard to read)

I've only had my BKE820XL a few days (I purchased it from a local store) so I cannot speak to its long term reliability yet, if it is anything like the SK500XL, I don't expect to have any problems.

Oh yeah, and the tea I've made in the last few days is easily the best I've ever brewed! Yay!

UPDATE 1/2/2009: I've had the BKE820XL for over a month now and I still love it! The only thing I've found that I would critique is:

- After you are done boiling water for the day, you need to either dry out the lid by hand or leave the lid open for a few hours to let the water evaporate (from the lid where it collects). I am concerned that not doing this might lead to issues down the road.

Even with that, I am still overjoyed with my purchase (which I use at least 5 times a week) and highly recommend it to anyone in search of a quality electric kettle.

UPDATE 3/12/2009 - Nothing much to report except that my wife and I are continuing to use our kettle mutliple times a week and are extremely happy with it. It has a permanent place on our counter! :)

Almost Perfect
I drink various types of teas constantly to my dentist's consternation, such as Irish and East Frisian in the morning with Pu Erh Tuo Cha and Green Jasmine in the evening. On the weekends I drink French Pressed coffee.

I did it the old fashioned way with a thermometer. Needless to say, but I will anyway, this kettle did make life simpler, but, (always a but) it has not functioned as advertised.

The primary issue is on the boiling setting for black teas. Sometimes it shuts off, and sometimes it doesn't. The other presets have worked flawlessly, and this may only be an anomaly with this particular pot.

I will say that I am going to order a second one, and send this one back to Breville for repairs. That should tell you how much I like the idea of this kettle.

Best tea and easy use
This is an incredibly elegant and precise, yet easy to use kettle. Even the sound to let you know when it's done is discreet and pleasant. Our household has a variety of schedules, and drinks a variety of teas as well as french press coffee. It's wonderful. Finally, jasmine green tea comes out at home as it should!

The manual holds only critical information, so it's brief - but read it well. I started to be dissatisfied about how the hold temp function works until re-reading the paragraph later.

I've only two minor criticisms. I wish that the minimum water that could be heated was 250 ml not 500 ml, but I get around it with an incredible insulated mug/carafe. More annoying is the cord length; if it was just a few inches longer to 2' it would be great. It's been difficult to find a place on the counter near an outlet that wouldn't steam the cupboards above or get knocked over. (And there's no room to stuff 3-6 feet of the correct type of 3-pronged appliance extension cord.)

So - very minor gripes. Even if it broke tomorrow, I'd order another immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment